- 2014–2020 Head of Department of Life Sciences, IMSI
- 2012– Principal Research Fellow, IMSI
- 2006–2012 Research Associate, IMSI
- 2008–2009 Invited lecturer of ‘Biophysical Chemistry’, undergraduate program at the Faculty of Physical Chemistry, University of Belgrade
- 2006 PhD in Biophysics, University of Belgrade
- 2002 BSc in Molecular Biology and Physiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade
3.Awards and certificates:
- 2018 Best Climate-Smart Idea Award, UNDP Serbia
- 2016 Best Publication of the Year Prize, IMSI
4.Other professional activities
- 2014– ‘Chemistry and Metabolism of Free Radicals’, Biophysics PhD program at the University of Belgrade
Editorial and Reviewer’s activity (journals, books, projects):
- 2017 Advisory Editor for European Biophysics Journal
- 2016-2020 Editor of Proceedings of Conferences of Serbian Biochemical Society
- 2012 Lead Guest Editor for journal Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity (Special Issue entitled “Hydrogen Peroxide in Adaptation”)
- Reviewed over 50 papers in international journals, including Antioxidants and Redox Signaling (9), Carbohydrate Research (3), Journal of Serbian Chemical Society (5), FEBS Journal, Metallomics, BioMetals, Chemo-Biological Interactions, and others.
- 2020 Member of Society for Free Radicals Research – Europe
- 2013-2017 Chairman of the Publication Committee of Serbian Biochemical Society
- 2011 Member of Serbian Biochemical Society
- 2007 Member of Biophysical Society of Serbia
- 2005 Member of Society of Physical Chemists of Serbia
- NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme ‘Radiation hormesis for higher microalgae biofuels yield’, No. G5320 (Director; 2017-2020) www.photobionuclear.com
- UNDP Serbia, Climate Smart Urban Development Project ‘LIQUID3’, No. 00094603/07/2020 (PI; 2020–2021)
- Innovation Fund of the Republic of Serbia, Proof of Concept Project ‘SORBWALL technology – Microalgal cell wall-based composites for biosorption of metals from polluted waters’, No. 5033 (PI; 2020-2021)
- COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology); Cost Action CA15133 The Biogenesis of Iron-sulfur Proteins: from Cellular Biology to Molecular Aspects – FeSBioNet (Work Group 4 Leader; 2017-2020)
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia; OI173014 Molecular mechanisms of redox signaling in homeostasis, adaptation and pathology (Member; 2011-2019)
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia; OI173017 Study of structure-function relationships in the plant cell wall and modifications of the wall structure by enzyme engineering (Member; 2011-2019)
- Vojvodić S., Stanić M., Zechmann B., Dučić T., Žižić M., Dimitrijević M., Danilović Luković J., Milenković R. Milica, Pittman K. J., Spasojević I. (2020) Mechanisms of detoxification of high copper concentrations by the microalga Chlorella sorokiniana. Biochemical Journal 477: 3729-3741. doi: 10.1042/BCJ20200600.
- Vojvodić S., Luković J.D., Zechmann B., Jevtović M., Pristov J.B, Stanić M., Lizzul A. M., Pittman J.K., Spasojević I. (2020) The effects of ionizing radiation on the structure and antioxidative and metal-binding capacity of the cell wall of microalga Chlorella sorokiniana. Chemosphere 260: 127553, doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.127553
- Dimitrijevic S.M, Bogdanovic-Pristov J., Zizic M., Stankovic M.D., Bajuk-Bogdanovic V.D., Stanic M., Spasic D.S., Hagen W., Spasojevic B.I. (2019) Biliverdin-copper complex at physiological pH. Dalton Transaction 48(: 6061-6070, doi: 10.1039/c8dt04724c
- Korać J., Stanković D.M., Stanić M., Bajuk-Bogdanović D., Žižić M., Bogdanovic Pristov J., Grgurić-Šipka S., Popović-Bijelić A., Spasojević I. (2018) Coordinate and redox interactions of epinephrine with ferric and ferrous iron at physiological pH. Scientific Reports 8: 3530, doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-21940-7
- Božić B., Korać J., Stanković D.M., Stanić M., Romanović M., Bogdanović Pristov J., Spasić S., Popović-Bijelić A., Spasojević I., Bajčetić M. (2018) Coordination and redox interactions of β-lactam antibiotics with Cu2+ in physiological settings and the impact on antibacterial activity. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 129: 279–285, doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.09.038.
- Opačić M., Ristić A.J., Savić D., Šelih V.S., Živin M., Sokić D., Raičević S., Baščarević V., Spasojević I. (2017) Metal maps of sclerotic hippocampi of patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Metallomics 9: 141-148, doi: 10.1039/C6MT00293E
- Milić Komić S., Bogdanović Pristov J., Popović-Bijelić A., Zakrzewska J., Stanić M., Kalauzi A., Spasojević I. (2016) Photo-redox reactions of indole and ferric iron in water. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 185: 174–180, doi: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2015.12.018
- Milić S., Bogdanović Pristov J., Mutavdžić D., Savić A., Spasić M., Spasojević I. (2015) The relationship of physicochemical properties to the antioxidative activity of free amino acids in Fenton system. Environmental Science and Technology 49: 4245–4254, doi: 10.1021/es5053396.
- Mojić M., Bogdanović Pristov J., Maksimović-Ivanić D., Jones D.R., Stanić M., Mijatović S., Spasojević I. (2014) Extracellular iron diminishes anticancer effects of vitamin C: an in vitro study. Scientific Reports 4: 5955, doi: 10.1038/srep05955.
- Spasojević I. (2011) Free radicals and antioxidants at a glance using EPR spectroscopy. Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences 48: 114–142, doi: 10.3109/10408363.2011.591772